[Python-ideas] Explicit self argument, implicit super argument

Ali Gholami Rudi aligrudi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 05:54:46 CET 2007

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 12:00:04PM -0700, Neil Toronto wrote:
> (Disclaimer: I have no issue with "self." and "super." attribute access,
> which is what most people think of when they think "implicit self".)

I don't feel easy about the new super either (maybe from a different
perspective than Neil's).  Why should self be passed to methods using
a parameter but super should use magic (something like a global name
that holds different objects in different places).

Instead of making self implicit, I'd like super to use less magic.  I
much preferred super(self).foo(*args).  Some magic for finding the
surrounding class might be needed but at least we don't use the first
parameter of a method implicitly.  (I don't see this in the
alternative proposals sections of :PEP:`3135`).  It can be made
backward compatible, too.  I have not read new super discussions; So
sorry if it has been already discussed.

-- Ali