[Python-ideas] Monitor implementation for the stdlib?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Oct 22 20:27:31 CEST 2007

2007/10/22, Adam Olsen <rhamph at gmail.com>:
> On 10/22/07, Leonardo Santagada <santagada at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Em 22/10/2007, às 03:21, Adam Olsen escreveu:
> > > My threading extensions to Python (which I still haven't posted) will
> > > provide a Monitor class and use it fairly often.  There's two major
> > > distinctions from what you suggest though:
> >
> > When are you planing on doing it?
>
> I'm working on it now, although I take forever.  Major functionality
> is still missing.

Beware; I think you're close to getting guilty of pre-announcing vaporware. :-)

> > Why not put it on a googlecode svn repository?
>
> They're picky about licensing.  I don't think I can put a patch to
> python on there.

Are you sure? Where do you read this? The way I see it, you can't make
something available using the Python license (and for good reason,
it's a crappy license even though it's OSI-approved and
GPL-compatible), but there's no reason you can't release patches to
Python under the Apache 2 license -- after all the PSF suggests that
license for all contributions *to* Python as well.

> I will eventually post on python's bug tracker.

Sounds hardly the place for a variant of the language.