[Python-ideas] Monitor implementation for the stdlib?

Adam Olsen rhamph at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 20:45:30 CEST 2007

> 2007/10/22, Adam Olsen <rhamph at gmail.com>:

> > > When are you planing on doing it?
> >
> > I'm working on it now, although I take forever.  Major functionality
> > is still missing.
>
> Beware; I think you're close to getting guilty of pre-announcing vaporware. :-)

I've been there so long I have a doormat that reads "welcome vaporware-land". ;)

> > > Why not put it on a googlecode svn repository?
> >
> > They're picky about licensing.  I don't think I can put a patch to
> > python on there.
>
> Are you sure? Where do you read this? The way I see it, you can't make
> something available using the Python license (and for good reason,
> it's a crappy license even though it's OSI-approved and
> GPL-compatible), but there's no reason you can't release patches to
> Python under the Apache 2 license -- after all the PSF suggests that
> license for all contributions *to* Python as well.

Since the patch is based on code using the Python license I'm not sure
how the diffs I post will be *completely* under my license.

I planned to ask the PSF to help me sort out what *exactly* needed to
do wrt licensing before posting my patch.

> > I will eventually post on python's bug tracker.
>
> Sounds hardly the place for a variant of the language.

I haven't decided if I should view it as a language variant or as an
enhancement.

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus