[Python-ideas] Thread exceptions and interruption

Alex Holkner aholkner at cs.rmit.edu.au
Wed Sep 19 06:40:09 CEST 2007

Adam Olsen wrote:

> Here I use a with-statement[2] to create a branch point.  The branch
> point collects any exceptions from its children and interrupts the
> children when the first exception occurs.  Interruption is done
> somewhat similarly to posix cancellation; participating functions
> react to it.  However, I raise an Interrupted exception, which can
> lead to much more graceful cleanup than posix cancellation. ;)

It sounds like you're proposing that a thread can be interrupted at any
time.  The Java developers realised long ago that this is completely
unworkable and deprecated their implementation:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/misc/threadPrimitiveDeprecation.html

Please disregard if I misunderstood your approach :-)

Alex.