[Python-ideas] Thread exceptions and interruption

Adam Olsen rhamph at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 22:42:06 CEST 2007

> Regarding the issue of exceptions in threads, I indeed see it as a
> non-issue. It's easy enough to develop a subclass of threading.Thread
> which catches any exceptions raised by run(), and stores the exception
> as an instance variable from which it can be retrieved after join()
> succeeds.

Perhaps a better question then: do you think it correctly handling
errors is a significant part of what makes threads hard today?

My focus has always been on making "simultaneous activities" easier to
manage.  Removing the GIL is just a free bonus from making independent
tasks really be independent.

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus