[Python-ideas] Exploration PEP : Concurrency for moderately massive (4 to 32 cores) multi-core architectures

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Sep 20 22:43:32 CEST 2007

Brian Granger writes:

 > I apologize if this statement is a little exaggerated.  But, I do
 > think this is a really critical problem that is going to affect
 > certain groups of Python users and developers in adverse ways.
 > Perhaps I have not made a very strong case that it is a true "crisis"
 > though.

No, you're missing the point.  I don't see anybody denying that you
understand your own needs.  *You* may face a (true) crisis.  *The
Python community* does not perceive your crisis as its own.

Personally, I don't see why it should.  And I think you'd be much more
successful at selling this with a two-pronged approach of evangelizing
just how utterly cool it would be to have a totally-threading GIL-less
Python on the one hand, and recruiting some gung-ho grad students with
Google SoC projects (or *gasp* some of your DoE grant or VC money) on
the other.

Note that nobody has said anything to discourage this as a research
project.  Nothing like it's impossible, stupid, or YAGNI.  But Guido,
and other senior developers, are saying they're not going to devote
their resources to it as things currently stand (and one of those
resources the attention of the folks who review PEPs).