[Python-ideas] Exploration PEP : Concurrency for moderately massive (4 to 32 cores) multi-core architectures

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Sep 21 04:00:57 CEST 2007

Krishna Sankar writes:

 > > project.  Nothing like it's impossible, stupid, or YAGNI.  But Guido,
 > > and other senior developers, are saying they're not going to devote
 > > their resources to it as things currently stand (and one of those
 > > resources the attention of the folks who review PEPs).
 >
 > <KS>
 >     I am not sure that is true. I think if we have a well thought out
 > PEP that addresses parallelism,

... and provides a plausible proof-of-concept implementation [Guido
said that to you explicitly] ...

 > it would be looked into by the folks.

True.  But AIUI without the implementation, it won't become a PEP.
And at present you don't have a plausible implementation with the GIL.

Now, it looks like Adam has a plausible implementation of removing the
GIL.  If that holds up under at least some common use-cases, I think
you'll see enthusiasm from some of the top developers, and acceptance
from most.  But I really think that has to come first.