[Python-ideas] Exploration PEP : Concurrency for moderately massive (4 to 32 cores) multi-core architectures

Krishna Sankar ksankar at doubleclix.net
Fri Sep 21 05:48:20 CEST 2007

Stephen,
    Now I see where you are coming from and you are right. Plausible is
the operative word. It is not that Guido and Sr.Developers will not look
at it at all, but will not look at it in the absence of a plausible
implementation. This was evident in the blog discussions with Bruce as
well. I was encouraged by Guido's reply. He is doing the right thing.

    Anyway, the point is, now we have a good understanding of the
dynamics. There is a small community who would like to see this happen
and it is up to us to show it can be done. A few key things need to happen:

    a)       A good set of benchmarks on multi-core systems, extending
excellent work (for example
http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/dwatkins/entry/benchmarking_parallel_python_1_2/)
         I have an 8 core machine (2 X 4 core) and plan to run this
benchmark as well as create others like the Red Black Tree (Guido had
suggested that, even before that I was thinking of it)
    b.1)      Plausible POC with GIL - pp, actor pattern/agent paradigm
et al.
    b.2)      Plausible one, as and when GIL is removed
    c)      Figure out what support is needed from PVM et al (b.1 and/or
b.2)
    d)      PEP and onwards ...

    Most probably I am stating the obvious. My take is that lots of the
work is already there. We need to converge and do the rest to work
towards a PEP.I know that Guido and Sr Developers will involve
themselves at the appropriate time.

Cheers
<k/>