[Python-ideas] Enhance reload

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Sep 30 01:25:21 CEST 2007

Joseph Maurer wrote:

> The way I implemented this feature in Slick-C is with indirection...
>
> Is my proposed implementation a good one for Python?

It's nowhere near detailed enough to be able to tell. When
Steven said "figure out how to implement it", he meant
working out the details, not just coming up with a
high-level idea.

What you suggest sounds like it ought to be possible,
at first sight, since Python function objects are already
containers with a reference to another object that
holds the function's code.

The problem will be figuring out *when* you're redefining
a function, because the process of loading a module is a
very dynamic one in Python. Defining functions and classes
is done by executing code, not by statically analysing
declarations as a C compiler does.

--
Greg