[Python-ideas] A new .pyc file format

gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Apr 29 12:02:13 CEST 2008

En Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:30:52 -0300, Calvin Spealman
<ironfroggy-+z4E91SeU6Qg+LkckTzjXg at public.gmane.org>
escribió:

> I'll play my part here and toss out some ideas we
could use this for.
> I'm not really advocating it, yet, but I'll say I am
+0. In either case,
> if we did, here are some possible uses:
>
> We could break up the code into multiple sections
and allow alternatives
> for sections with different versions. Different
versions could be used
> for a few different things, including different
optimization levels,
> supporting multiple bytecode versions, or storing
both pre and post AST
> transformations of the code.

Thanks for the examples! The idea was to allow storing
such things, but I could not think of a concrete
alternative example.

> Meta-ish data like docstrings could be pulled out of
the code objects
> and injected in non-optimized modes. This might also
include original
> source for code, which could be helpful when you
change the source and
> still-running code tracebacks and gives you invalid
lines.

> Bookkeeping data could sit in some sections,
detailing things like call
> stats (average call time, frequency, etc) and other
information that
> could be useful for optimizers and JIT compilers
like psyco.

Do you mean, to update the file after the code is
executed, to store such statistics? When would it be
done?

--
Gabriel Genellina

      Tarjeta de crédito Yahoo! de Banco Supervielle.
Solicitá tu nueva Tarjeta de crédito. De tu PC directo a tu casa. www.tuprimeratarjeta.com.ar