[Python-ideas] Decimal literal?

Chris Rebert clp at rebertia.com
Thu Dec 4 10:10:40 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Chris Rebert writes:
>
>  > Does performance matter quite *that* critically in most everyday
>  > programs?
>
> Of course not.  But that's the wrong question.  Python is a
> *general-purpose* programming language, not an "everyday application
> where performance isn't critical programming language".  There are
> plenty of applications that just cry out<wink> for a Python
> implementation where it does matter.

We're talking about adding a feature, not taking speed away. If
anything, this would increase adoption of Python as people writing
programs that use decimals extensively would be able to use decimals
with greater ease. Speed freaks could still use floats; there's no
change as far as they're concerned. Yes, people who need BOTH decimals
AND maximum speed would still be left out, but let's take this one
step at a time, and in a later step maybe we can fully satisfy such
people.
We wouldn't want the perfect long term (speedy built-in decimals)
getting in the way of the pretty good near term (built-in decimals).

Additionally, your argument can be turned on its head ;-) Consider:
 > Does perfect accuracy matter quite *that* critically in most
everyday programs?
Of course not.  But that's the wrong question.  Python is a
*general-purpose* programming language, not an "everyday application
where accuracy isn't critical programming language".  There are plenty
of applications that just cry out<wink> for a Python implementation
where it does matter.

<grin>

Cheers,
Chris