[Python-ideas] exit as a statement

Calvin Spealman ironfroggy at socialserve.com
Wed Feb 20 16:51:56 CET 2008

This has been discussed to death several times before. I remember the
rationale against doing something different to have various reasons.
No one likes adding statements, for one thing (we have a tendency to
move things out of keyword-space, not into it). Another solution was
to define an ExitType with __str__ defined to raise SystemExit, but
then what happens if you just do something to dump a bunch of
objects? In other words: a side effect exiting is dangerous.

As far as an actual statement, I'd definitely be -1 with a single
exception. Would it be possible to define exit as an interpreter
command, so long as the name 'exit' is not bound to anything but the
exit str? In other words, it would only actually exit when you are in
the interpreter, not when executing scripts or modules.