[Python-ideas] callback support for storxxxx methods in ftplib?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Jan 22 00:22:56 CET 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 2:25 PM, Terry Carroll <carroll at tjc.com> wrote:
> What's the chance of having support added to the storbinary and storlines
> to support callback, just like retrbinary and retrlines has, for Python
> 2.6?
>
> There's a patch for this at http://bugs.python.org/issue1221598 but it
> hasn't seemed to generate much enthusiasm.
>
> I've had at least one instance where I've needed this, and monkey-patched
> in this patch to get the functionality.  It's also just plain odd that the
> file transfer capability is not symmetrical; is there any reason why
> callback capability is considered important for downloads, but not for
> uploads?

For something like this it requires a core developer to take enough
interest to spend their time and energy on it (I have not looked at
the patch but I assume it is done in a backwards-compatible fashion).
For new functionality like that means either personal interest of the
core developer or enough people saying they want the feature to
motivate a core developer to put the time in just to be nice.

-Brett