[Python-ideas] An easier syntax for writing decorators(&similar things)?

Aaron Brady castironpi at comcast.net
Fri Jan 25 03:03:38 CET 2008

> [1] I know you didn't copy these from real code anywhere because they
> all have typos -- they're missing urlparse/urlretrieve as the first
> arguments to partial() or prepartial().

Repair treated.

Original function:
1.      urlparse( urlstring[, default_scheme[, allow_fragments]])
2.      urlretrieve( url[, filename[, reporthook[, data]]])

In action:
1.      parseA= prepartial( urlparse, 'ftp', False )
2.      retrieveA= prepartial( urlretrieve, 'temp.htm', callbackA )

Equivalent A:
1.      parseAB= partial( urlparse,
            default_scheme= 'ftp', allow_fragments= False )
2.      retrieveAB= partial( urlretrieve,
            filename= 'temp.htm', reporthook= callbackA )

Equivalent B:
1.      parseAC= lambda url: urlparse( url, 'ftp', False )
2.      retrieveAC= lambda url: urlretrieve( url, 'temp.htm', callbackA )

Examples in gestation; check back in several months; a +fraction; you're on
the right track.