[Python-ideas] "While" suggestion

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Thu Jul 3 17:42:07 CEST 2008

On Jul 3, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Stavros Korokithakis wrote:
> That is quite a bit better than duplicating the assignment, but this
> version duplicates the check (or rather defers it from the "while
> <expression>" part to the "if" part). I am not sure that it is as
> elegant as the proposed syntax...

The style with the check "in the middle", however, is fully general:
you can do different checks at different points to determine when to
break or skip the rest of the indented suite; the "while <expr> as
<var>:" form only handles a specific case (though common).

The "while <expr> as <var>:" for has a certain level of attraction,
because it does deal very well with a very common case, but I don't
know that it would make that much difference in my code.

(Of course, for the specific use case being used to seed this
discussion, the fileinput module may be helpful.)

Fred Drake   <fdrake at acm.org>