[Python-ideas] print in the interactive interpreter? plus shell API idea

Roman Susi rnd at onego.ru
Sun Jul 6 09:02:42 CEST 2008

Terry Reedy wrote:

> Roman Susi wrote:
>
>> I am sure that Python interactive interpreter is a good tool.
>>
>> Before it were simple to print something with print.
>
> It always was and is easier to leave print off and just type the
> expression ;-)

It gives you repr and its not always useful, e.g.

>>> s
u'\u042d\u0442\u043e \u043e\u0447\u0435\u043d\u044c
\u0445\u043e\u0440\u043e\u0448\u0430\u044f
\u0441\u0442\u0440\u043e\u043a\u0430'

>  > Is it possible to have some simplified "print" in the interactive
>> interpreter?
>
> We already and always have had such: just type the expression

Well, my point which was completely ignored (maybe due to too lengthy
explanation) is that the shell could be smarter beyond readline and that
shell to interpreter protocol may be a well-defined API, specifying
"main course" (Python commands) as well introspection features.

Regards,
Roman