[Python-ideas] Ideas towards GIL removal

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Fri Jul 18 10:51:25 CEST 2008

Talin wrote:
> I'm thinking along similar lines, but my approach is to eliminate
> refcounting entirely. (Note that the incref and decref macros could
> still exist for backwards compatibility, but would do nothing.)

There was a PyPy talk at this year's EuroPython about "writing code for
different GCs". Certainly worth reading in this context. Bottom-line being
that it's always worth thinking about the effect of ref-counting on code and
if the code would still work if there was no ref-counting (as in Jython, PyPy
and IronPython). Sometimes not as obvious as it might seem...

Stefan