[Python-ideas] "While" suggestion

David Borowitz borowitz at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 30 20:57:13 CEST 2008

Precisely: you're talking about two different accepted definitions of

I'm not going to say one type of formal semantics is better than another,
but it's nice when everyone is at least on the same page :)

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 09:26, Steven Bethard <steven.bethard at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> > The results of the expressions are their semantics.  When you write 547 +
> > 222, the semantics is the result 769, not the internal implementation of
> how
> > a particular interpreter arrives at that.

This is denotational semantics.

> I see we have a very different definition of semantics. For me, the
> semantics of ``547 + 222`` are different from ``1538 / 2 are different
> from 769 because the operations the interpreter goes through are
> different. Given that by "semantics" you mean, "result of the
> expression", I can happily conceded that the result of the expression
> of list(<genexp>) is the same as [<listcomp>].
> Steve

This is operational semantics.

> --
> I'm not *in*-sane. Indeed, I am so far *out* of sane that you appear a
> tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity.
>  --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

It is better to be quotable than to be honest.
-Tom Stoppard