[Python-ideas] [Python-Dev] The Case Against Floating Point ==

Imri Goldberg lorgandon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 23:18:35 CET 2008

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Imri Goldberg wrote:
>
>> what happens to other comparison
>> operators, namely,
>> <=, <, >, >=. If they retain their original meaning than <= and >=
>> become at least a bit inconsistent.
>>

> Also, if you have <= and >= then you can cheat by
> doing 'x <= y and x >= y'. :-)

That's part of what I meant.

There's also the problem that if x>y, then you want x!=y. This means
that there are implications for all comparison operators.

This makes changing == behavior to an epsilon comparison more involved.
I still think it is feasible, but will require much more consideration.

In any case, emitting a warning for == is still 'cheap', and the
original arguments stand.

Imri Goldberg
www.algorithm.co.il/blogs
www.imri.co.il