[Python-ideas] [Python-Dev] The Case Against Floating Point ==

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Mar 15 00:19:20 CET 2008

Neil Toronto wrote:

> Don't forget a !~ b, a <~ b, and a >~ b, and the associated __sim__,
> __nsim__, __ltsim__, and __gtsim__ slots.

I think that all of these are a bad idea. In my experience,
when comparing with a tolerance, you need to think carefully
about what the appropriate tolerance is for each and every
comparison. Having a global default tolerance would just
lead people to write sloppy and unreliable numerical code.

--
Greg