[Python-ideas] Python Object Notation (PyON)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Nov 1 18:09:31 CET 2008

Zaur Shibzoukhov wrote:
> Python Object Notation (PyON
> <http://code.google.com/p/pyon/wiki/GettingStarted>)
>
> Python 2.6/3.0 now has a module ast. This opens up new opportunities.
> One of them is the possibility of introducing human readable/writable
> literal object notation, based on the syntax of the python language.

Other than syntax details, how is PyON different from json, yaml (3rd
party module), and anything else?

I see at bottom time comparison with pickle and json, but only that.

> I would like to know what do you think about this?

Grammar:   <kw> := <name> = <pyon_expr>, ..., <name> = <pyon_expr>
There is no rule for pyon_expr.  Did you just mean <expr>?

...   y=IF(
...     flag,
...     A1(kind='A1'),
...     A2(kind='A2')
...   )

Where does IF come from?

   * extension objects didn't take in mind.
needs to be rewritten