[Python-ideas] __missing__ object/keyword

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Nov 8 23:06:11 CET 2008

Bruce Leban wrote:

> However, there is an implementation complication due to the way variable
> scoping works in Python: if a variable is left unbound in the function
> locals, then references to that variable name would pick up the global
> if it exists

No, it wouldn't:

Python 2.3 (#1, Aug  5 2003, 15:52:30)
[GCC 3.1 20020420 (prerelease)] on darwin
 >>> def f():
...  print x
...  x = 0
 >>> f()
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "<stdin>", line 2, in f
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'x' referenced before assignment

Python already has the machinery to make this work. All
that's needed is a way to leave parameters unbound, and
a syntax for asking "Would I get a NameError if I were to
refer to this name now?"

Perhaps something like

   def f(x?):
     if x?: