[Python-ideas] Proposal for Ruby-style anonymous block functions (that don't kill the indention)

Leif Walsh leif.walsh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 07:59:20 CET 2008

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Carl Johnson <carl at carlsensei.com> wrote:
> ...     word = word.lower()
> ...     word = word.replace("one", "1")
> ...     word = word.replace("two", "2")
> ...     word = word.replace("three", "3")
> ...     word = word.replace(" ", "")
> ...     return word
> [u'blah one', u'Blah two', u' bLAh three']

This bothers me.  You seem to have some kind of syntax error here,
because you have two parens before the colon.  I don't know if you
meant to do this, but it seems very, very strange the way you have it,
and the obvious alternative seems strange as well:

>>> sorted(words, key=@(word):
...   word = word.lower()
...   ...
...   return word)
[stuff]

Since I can't think of a reasonable way to fix this, I'm going to have to -1 it.

Also, I think in the light that lambda functions are just hard to work
with in general (as seductive as they are when you're typing), I'd
rather encourage people to formally specify any functions they are
going to use, if only to give them a chance to be tested (Hey look,
I'm promoting TDD!  How out of character!).

--
Cheers,
Leif