[Python-ideas] For-loop variable scope: simultaneous possession and ingestion of cake

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Oct 4 01:06:54 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Neil Toronto <ntoronto at cs.byu.edu> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 3:37 AM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> However, it's not lambda that's broken, it's the for loop.
>>
>> I disagree. If you propose to change the for-loop to create new cells,
>> you would also need to introduce new syntax for introducing new cells
>> in other contexts. While it is common (especially when demonstrating
>> the problem) to use a for loop variable in the lambda, the same
>> problem exists when the variable referenced is constructed via other
>> means.
>
> Like this?
>
>    >>> i = 0
>    >>> f = lambda: i
>    >>> i = 1
>    >>> f()
>    1

No, I was thinking of examples like this:

  >>> a = []
  >>> for i in range(10):
  ...     j = i**2
  ...     a.append(lambda: j)
  >>> for f in a: print f()
  81
  81
  .
  .
  .
  81

This leads me to reject claims that "the for-loop is broken" and in
particular clamoring for fixing the for-loop without allowing us to
fix this example.