[Python-ideas] For-loop variable scope: simultaneous possession and ingestion of cake

Leif Walsh leif.walsh at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 21:49:58 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 11:25 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> I tend to favour 'let' because it has a long history
> of use in other languages for a very similar purpose,
> and will be instantly recognisable to anyone familiar
> with those languages.

If I might suggest that the legacy way is not necessarily the right
way, 'let' feels kind of like a variable declaration, while 'scope' or
something else (I think I saw 'local' somewhere, which looked okay)
would hopefully give more of a notion that there is something deeper
going on.  I am mostly wary of new users discovering 'let' and using
it everywhere because they don't understand what it means.

--
Cheers,
Leif