[Python-ideas] Statements vs Expressions... why?

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Wed Sep 10 21:46:48 CEST 2008

Cliff Wells wrote:
> Any thoughts on this?  I'm sure it's been brought up before, but I
> haven't found any definitive discussions on why this rather arbitrary
> design decision continues to hold in the face of a general migration
> away from imperative languages (especially when it seems it could be
> changed without much backwards-compatibility issues).

Two thoughts:

Please elaborate how you like to change the syntax of Python. I like to
see some concrete examples how your syntax would look like. I also like
to know how your are planing to implement features like lazy evaluation.
The if else ternary operator statement is evaluated lazy. The same
construct as expression wouldn't be lazy any more.

Secondly any syntax change won't happen until we start planing Python
4000 ;)

Christian