[Python-ideas] Statements vs Expressions... why?

Scott Dial scott+python-ideas at scottdial.com
Fri Sep 12 08:40:07 CEST 2008

Cliff Wells wrote:
>> That in turn will force you to think about many of the details that
>> you're currently brushing away as irrelevant -- and you'll find that
>> they are actually highly relevant.
>
> I'm not brushing them away as irrelevant, I'm setting them aside until
> it's decided that it's even worth pursuing.  I don't know about you, but
> I don't bother arguing with my wife about the color of a new cars until
> we're certain we need to buy one.

I'm sorry, but the points people are bringing up are not bikeshedding.
They are very real points that are more analogous to whether the car has
wheels or flies on pixie dust. I'm sorry, but you can't cast aside the
subtleties of turning statements into expressions as bikeshedding
arguments. Many of the people who gave you very genuine feedback pointed
out particularly difficult to rectify problems (like how exactly do you
notate a suite if you eliminate the required indent tokens?) and your
response to them is that they are missing the point.. You want to change
the language, the syntax of that change is *exactly* the point.

-Scott

--
Scott Dial
scott at scottdial.com