[Python-ideas] Statements vs Expressions... why?

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Sun Sep 14 05:16:13 CEST 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 19:47 -0600, Adam Olsen wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Cliff Wells <cliff at develix.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 12:27 -0700, Bruce Leban wrote:
> >> You can't do it by insisting that no one understands what you're
> >> talking about.
> >
> > When someone suggests that the distinction between expressions and
> > statements is syntactic sugar on the same level as the + operator, then
> > I have no choice but to assume they really don't understand what I'm
> > talking about.  Whether that's a failing on my part or theirs is an open
> > question, but there's no doubt about the lack of understanding.
>
> That much we can agree on.
>
> Throughout this thread very little if any progress has been made.  I'm
> willing to continue on IRC if you'd like, but I won't clutter the list
> any more.

Fair enough.  I'm actually willing to let it go at this point.  If
someone has a point to make or a question, I won't ignore them, but I'll
refrain from indulging myself any further.

And seriously, sincere thanks for the debate.  As I mentioned early on,
I didn't really expect this to go anywhere productive (except to the
extent it let me get it off my chest), so I appreciate everyone's
patience.

Regards,
Cliff