[Python-ideas] And now for something completely different

Piotr Wysocki piotrwysocki at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 14:19:48 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 7:01 AM, Cliff Wells <cliff at develix.com> wrote:
> There's one other approach: have two types of functions: <function> and
> <function-with-lazy-args>.  Whenever Python encounters a declaration of
> a function with a lazy argument it creates the latter.  This would allow
> Python to know at runtime how to handle it.  The difference could be
> transparent to user code (although it might be unappealing to disguise
> such a difference).

Why don't you just use strings instead of actual arguments and then
just evaluate them if you need them?
Someone has already suggested that...

As I briefly understand your idea of making Python a more functional language
(I like FP myself), I don't think Python is ever going to be one.
If you want some FP, just use another language
(lazy args will not be implemented ever for sure)

Or you can fork Python :)

Cheers,
Peter