[Python-ideas] x=(yield from) confusion [was:Yet another alternative name for yield-from]

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Apr 7 07:42:48 CEST 2009

Jacob Holm wrote:

> One major reason for factoring something out of a coroutine would be if
> the factored-out code was independently useful as a coroutine.

So provide another entry point for using that part
as a top level, or manually apply the wrapper when
it's appropriate.

I find it extroardinary that people seem to have
latched onto David Beazley's idiosyncratic definition
of a "coroutine" and decided that it's written on
a stone tablet from Mt. Sinai that we must always
wrap them in his decorator.

> @coroutine
> def avg_diff():
>    a = yield from avg2() start None  # "start EXPR" means use EXPR for
> first value to yield instead of next()
>    b = yield from avg2() start a     # "start EXPR" means use EXPR for
> first value to yield instead of next()

I'm going to need a less abstract example to see
why you might want to do something like that.

--
Greg