[Python-ideas] Draft PEP (version 0.4): Standard daemon?process?library

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Apr 8 21:40:56 CEST 2009

[responding very late]

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Ben Finney <ben+python at ...> writes:
>>
>> What would be appropriate behaviour in the case of a stale PID file?
>> Abort the daemonisation attempt? Delete the stale lock file silently
>> and continue as though it didn't exist?
>
> Delete the stale lock file silently and continue as though it didn't exist.
> (and, of course, create another one for the current process)

This should be determined by the API -- for example, a process running
against an NFS disk that may be run from any of several servers but
should only run on one server at any time ought to abort if there's a
stale PID file.

"...string iteration isn't about treating strings as sequences of strings,
it's about treating strings as sequences of characters.  The fact that
characters are also strings is the reason we have problems, but characters
are strings for other good reasons."  --Aahz