[Python-ideas] python-like garbage collector & workaround

Aaron Brady castironpi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 11:56:07 CEST 2009

On Mar 30, 7:36 pm, Jan Kanis <jan.ka... at phil.uu.nl> wrote:
> 2009/3/29  <castironpi... at comcast.net>:

Hi, sorry for the delay.  Not to beat a dead horse, but I've tried c-
l-
py for the technical discussion.

For user-defined types, the only option is currently to scan the
'gc.garbage' collection.  I want to provide more options for the users
of my system.

I was thinking about implementing weak-refs, so long as it's worth
it.  That's one approach that I understand doesn't have the same
problem.  However, that risks losing an object in the middle of
execution, not just when both have left reachability.

Another option is to add a 'is reachable' system call.  Weak-refs
would be akin to an 'still exists' call.

class StarCrossedLover:
   def __init__( self, other ):
       self.other= other
   def __del__( self ):
       kill( self.other )

romero= StarCrossedLover( )
joriet= StarCrossedLover( )

In this example, I think weak-refs would be most accurate.  However,
that litters the entire class code with weak-ref testing.  Under my
model, self.other may or may not be valid in the destructor.  With
weak-refs, self.other may or may not be valid anywhere at all!
However, they are consistent and __del__ methods can always get
called.  Should I add them?

Thanks in advance.