[Python-ideas] An idea for a new pickling tool

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Apr 22 00:26:24 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> Motivation
> ----------
>
> Python's pickles use a custom format that has evolved over time
> but they have five significant disadvantages:
>
>   * it has lost its human readability and editability
>   * is doesn't compress well

Really? Or do you mean "it doesn't have built-in compression support"
? I don't expect that running bzip2 over a pickle would produce
unsatisfactory results, and the API supports reading from and writing
to streams.

Or do you just mean "the representation is too repetitive and bulky" ?

>   * it isn't interoperable with other languages
>   * it doesn't have the ability to enforce a schema
>   * it is a major security risk for untrusted inputs

I agree that pickle doesn't satisfy these. But then again, #1, #3 and
#4 were never part of its design goals. #5 is indeed a problem.

But I think there are existing solutions already. For example, I'd say
that XML+bzip2 satisfies all these already. If you want something a
little less verbose, I recommend looking at Google Protocol Buffers
(http://code.google.com/apis/protocolbuffers/), which have both a
compact binary format (though not compressed -- but you can easily
layer that) and a verbose text format. There's a nice Python-specific
tutorial (http://code.google.com/apis/protocolbuffers/docs/pythontutorial.html)
that also explains why you would use this.

--Guido