[Python-ideas] An idea for a new pickling tool

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 02:41:21 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> Motivation
> ----------
> Python's pickles use a custom format that has evolved over time
> but they have five significant disadvantages:
>   * it has lost its human readability and editability
>   * is doesn't compress well
>   * it isn't interoperable with other languages
>   * it doesn't have the ability to enforce a schema
>   * it is a major security risk for untrusted inputs
> New idea
> --------
> Develop a solution using a mix of PyYAML, a python coded version of
> Kwalify, optional compression using bz2, gzip, or zlib, and pretty
> printing using pygments.
> YAML ( http://yaml.org/spec/1.2/ ) is a language independent standard
> for data serialization.
> PyYAML ( http://pyyaml.org/wiki/PyYAML ) is a full implementation of
> the YAML standard.  It uses the YAML's application-specific tags and
> Python's own copy/reduce logic to provide the same power as pickle itself.
> Kwalify ( http://www.kuwata-lab.com/kwalify/ruby/users-guide.01.html )
> is a schema validator written in Ruby and Java.  It defines a
> YAML/JSON based schema definition for enforcing tight constraints
> on incoming data.
> The bz2, gzip, and zlib compression libraries are already built into
> the language.
> Pygments ( http://pygments.org/ ) is python based syntax highlighter
> with builtin support for YAML.
> Advantages
> ----------
> * The format is simple enough to hand edit or to have lightweight
>  applications emit valid pickles.  For example:
>     print('Todo: [go to bank, pick up food, write code]')   # valid pickle
> * To date, efforts to make pickles smaller have focused on creating new
>  codes for every data type.  Instead, we can use the simple text formatting
>  of YAML and let general purpose data compression utilities do their job
>  (letting the user control the trade-offs between speed, space, and human
>  readability):
>     yaml.dump(data, compressor=None)  # fast, human readable, no compression
>     yaml.dump(data, compressor=bz2)   # slowest, but best compression
>     yaml.dump(data, compressor=zlib)  # medium speed and medium compression
> * The current pickle tools makes it easy to exchange object trees between
>  two Python processes.  The new tool would make it equally easy  to exchange
> object trees between processes running any of Python, Ruby,  Java, C/C++,
> Perl, C#, PHP, OCaml, Javascript, ActionScript, and Haskell.
> * Ability to use a schema for enforcing a given object model and allowing
>  full security.  Which would you rather run on untrusted data:
>     data = yaml.load(myfile, schema=ListOfStrings)
>  or
>     data = pickle.load(myfile)
> * Specification of a schema using YAML itself
>  ListOfStrings (a schema written in yaml)
>  type:   seq
> [...]

Just to add to this, I remembered someone recently did a simple
benchmark of thift/JSON/YAML/Protocol Buffers, here are the links:

Without digging into the numbers too much, it's worth noting that
PyYAML is written in pure python but also has Libyaml
(http://pyyaml.org/wiki/LibYAML) bindings for speed. When I get a
chance, I can run the same test(s) with both the pure-python
implementation and the libyaml one as well as see how much the speedup

We would definitely need a c-based parser/emitter for something like
this to really fly.