[Python-ideas] PYTHONUSERBASES (plural!)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Apr 22 08:03:13 CEST 2009

Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > I like the described feature.
>
> You vote +1 then?

With the caveat that I think it should be ‘PYTHONUSERBASE’ that causes
this behaviour, not a new variable.

> I'm open to suggestions for an alternate name. However, the flipside
> to "confusingly similar" would be "confusingly different".
> PYTHONUSERBASES is very similar to PYTHONUSERBASE except that it
> supports more than one, so giving it a different name seemed natural
> to me.

As I understand it, a valid value for ‘PYTHONUSERBASE’ as-is (i.e. a
single directory path) is also a valid value for this new behaviour. All
we're doing is adding the capability to *also* supply multiple directory
paths in the value, separated by ‘:’. It seems logical to me that this
should be the same variable.

--
 \     “Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather |
  `\                                             straps.” —Emo Philips |