[Python-ideas] What about allowing '?' in method names?

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Fri Aug 7 08:26:47 CEST 2009

Lucas Prado Melo schrieb:

>      > > 2) IPython gives a special meaning to ?, and it would be a shame to
>      > > collide with that.
>      >
>      >  IMHO, IPython might not be mature enough to interfere with
>     Python design
>      > decisions yet.
>
>     It already has, IIRC.  ISTR IPython was a consideration, though not a
>     showstopper, in the choice of "@" for decorators.
>
> Oh. Nevermind, then. I thought it wasn't mature enough because the
> current stable version has such a low value as 0.10.

Don't judge open source projects' maturity by their version number.  For some
reason, authors have a tendency to be over-modest in switching to something
post-0.x, even if the project is stable and well-used for years.

It's probably just a reaction to the orthogonal practice of some corporate
software vendors :)

Georg