[Python-ideas] pep 312 - implicit lambdas idea

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Aug 8 03:17:39 CEST 2009

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> Why would you want to get rid of the lambda keyword? What's the benefit?
>
> Is this about saving twelve keystrokes?

It's about conciseness. The only time it makes sense to
write a function in-line is when the body is extremely
short -- but then it gets swamped by the lambda keyword
itself.

But I agree that the OP's particular solution is restricted
to a case that's too special. My version is completely
general -- it can express anything that the existing lambda
can express.

--
Greg