[Python-ideas] Interrogate alternate namespace keyword and concept

ilya ilya.nikokoshev at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 11:25:53 CEST 2009

Even if for some reason you needed a statement similar to Pascal's
"with" (and no, I don't know any example where this could be useful
since you'll lose access to anything other then the class), you could
implement it with existing syntax:

class Test:
    '''Class to be interrogated.'''
    def __init__(self, value):
        self.value = value

test = Test(10)

class getattrs(dict):
    '''An auxiliary class.'''
    def __init__(self, instance):
        self.instance = instance
    def __getitem__(self, name):
        return getattr(self.instance, name)
    def __setitem__(self, name, value):
        return setattr(self.instance, name, value)

# interrogate test: value += 5
exec('value += 5', getattrs(test))

print(test.value)
# prints 15.