[Python-ideas] Interrogate alternate namespace keyword and concept

Prozacgod prozacgod at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 19:57:58 CEST 2009

I'm leaning towards a -0.5 right now myself, simply because of the
ambiguities that have been mentioned, python is anything but ambiguous, and
that's a distinction I like about it, in every case I can think of python
does what you'd expect without random oh, but there is this qualifier in
this context .. (*cough* perl *cough* ruby *cough*).. even if I think I like
the syntax, it doesn't really make sense to implement it at this time, or
likely ever.

I got the inspiration for the idea from delphi/pascal, but in retrospect it
turns out that the primary large (~1million lines) commercial app I worked
on where we used that syntax (heavily I might add), they started to phase
out the use of the with statement all over the code because of these same
abiguities creating obscure difficult to track down bugs.

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Prozacgod <prozacgod at ...> writes:
> >
> > My main motivation most likely is just that it would open up some very
> > interesting meta-programing or dynamic programming opportunities,
> variables
> > that exists entirely programmatically without the prefix of
> > object_instance.foo, surely just syntactical sugar to some (or even most)
> -
>
> This sounds very PHP-like (doing indirections like $$foo because there
> isn't any
> powerful introspection or OO system, and many things (e.g. functions,
> classes)
> aren't first-class objects and can't be passed as parameters). I don't
> think
> Python should grow something like that; instead people should learn more
> structured ways of accessing data. getattr() and friends are powerful
> enough for
> playing access tricks.
>
> (in other words: -1 from me)

-Prozacgod

"Prozac may heal the mind, but friends can mend the soul"