[Python-ideas] Why does `sum` use a default for the `start` parameter?

Ram Rachum cool-rr at cool-rr.com
Sat Dec 5 17:56:09 CET 2009

> Sometimes you might find that the list you're summing is empty. Because
> 'sum' is most often used with numbers, the default sum of a list is 0.
> If you want to sum a list of non-numbers, provide a suitable start
> value. For example, to sum a list of lists a suitable start value is []:

> [0, 1, 2, 3]
>
> I agree that it would be nice if the start value could just be omitted,
> but then what should 'sum' return if the list is empty?

I see the problem. I think a good solution would be to tell the user, "If you
want `sum` to be able to handle a non-empty list, you must supply `start`."
Users that want to add up a (possibly empty) sequence of numbers will have to
specify `start`.

If start is supplied, it will work like it does now. If start isn't supplied, it
will add up all the elements without adding any `start` to them.

What do you think?