[Python-ideas] Why does `sum` use a default for the `start` parameter?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 00:49:53 CET 2009

Ram Rachum wrote:
> I prefer (b). The problem with requiring `start` for sequences of non-numerical
> objects is that you now have to go out and create a "zero object" of the same
> type as your other objects. The object class might not even have a concept of a
> "zero object".

class _AdditiveIdentity(object):
  def __add__(self, other):
    return other
  __radd__ = __add__

AdditiveIdentity = _AdditiveIdentity()

total = sum(itr, start=AdditiveIdentity)
if total is AdditiveIdentity:
  # Iterable was empty
else:
  # we got a real result

(Raymond already posted along these lines, but I wanted to point out
that by making the identity object a singleton you can save the cost of
repeated instantiation and simplify the after-the-fact check for an
empty iterable)

The other philosophical point here is one Guido has expressed several
times in the past: "In general, the type of a return value should not
depend on the *value* of an argument" (although the different numeric
types tend to blur together a bit in this specific context)

With only a default value, sum() could return entirely different types
based on whether or not the sequence was empty.

With a start value, on the other hand, the type returned must at least
be one that is compatible under addition with the start value. You can
subvert that a bit through the use of a universal additive identity, but
it holds short of that.

Cheers,
Nick.