[Python-ideas] Being able to specify "copy mode" to copy.deepcopy

Ram Rachum cool-rr at cool-rr.com
Tue Dec 15 16:35:52 CET 2009

MRAB <python at ...> writes:
> cool-RR wrote:
> > What do you think?
> >
> My own feeling is that this is a misuse of __deepcopy__: if you ask for
> a copy (of a mutable object) then you should get a copy (for immutable
> objects copying isn't necessary).

I agree it that the Persistent.__deecopy__ thing does smell like misuse on my
part. However I'd be happy to hear any alternative suggestion you have on how
to solve the problem I have.

Meanwhile, I thought of a nice backwards-compatible way to implement what I
suggest, but I want to know whether this idea makes sense at all to the people
here.

Ram.