[Python-ideas] disabling .pyc and .pyo files

Kevin Watters kevin.watters at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 23:37:09 CET 2009

For what it's worth, I've got an entirely different use case than the
ones I've seen in this thread so far.

I'd like Python to read .pyo files, but not search for .py or .pyc
files. This is because we ship a py2exe app in it's "exploded" form,
where there is an .exe and a lib/ folder full of .pyos.  Purely as an
optimization, it'd be nice to not have Python stat for .py and then .pyc
for every new import.

I remember glancing at Python/import.c and thinking that this could
easily be accomplished by allowing the user to customize
_PyImport_StandardFiletab at runtime--in fact there is already an
PyImport_AppendInittab; it's just not exposed to Python. With a function
like imp.set_inittab, I could get what I want with something like

     imp.set_inittab(['.pyo', 'rb', imp.PY_COMPILED])

And then of course to read just .py files, you could do

     imp.set_inittab([".py", "U", PY_SOURCE])

- Kevin