[Python-ideas] Making colons optional?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Feb 6 08:17:45 CET 2009

Riobard Zhan <yaogzhan at gmail.com> writes:

> On 5-Feb-09, at 6:10 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
>
> > If they are optional, and some significant proportion of coders
> > stop using them to introduce a suite, then they entirely lose
> > their strong association with “here comes a suite” that is the
> > main benefit of having them as complulsory syntax.
>
> Your strong association with "here comes a suite" should come from
> indentation, that's how Python works.

We're going around in circles: I've already demonstrated that there is
plenty of indentation changes in Python code that *isn't* associated
with here-comes-a-suite.

> Or you should fallback to opening and ending braces like Java/C (or
> even old school begin-end keywords) if you fail to do so.

Why? I already have indentation plus here-comes-a-suite colons in
Python.

--
 \      “It's up to the masses to distribute [music] however they want |
  `\    … The laws don't matter at that point. People sharing music in |