[Python-ideas] Making colons optional?

Riobard Zhan yaogzhan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 16:11:16 CET 2009

On 6-Feb-09, at 11:08 AM, Aahz wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 06, 2009, Riobard Zhan wrote:
>>
>> I think the mailing list I am posting to is called "Python Ideas".
>
> That doesn't mean that people will have any interest in your ideas.
> You
> should pay attention to what people are telling you and spend less
> time
> arguing with them.

It is pretty clear that colon-supporters do not pay attention to the
inconsistency of semicolons being optional and colons being mandatory
that I mentioned, and try to argue with me using a set of reasons why
they love colons when in fact the same reasons would obviously make
them love semicolons, and ignore the fact that they are used to colons
not because it is a better idea but they are never allowed to omit.

> Keep in mind that Guido is still BDFL, and you have
> effectively zero chance of convincing him to drop the colons.

It does not stop me giving it a try.