[Python-ideas] Making colons optional?

Riobard Zhan yaogzhan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 07:47:17 CET 2009

On 6-Feb-09, at 7:50 PM, Leonardo Santagada wrote:

> I Will give you an idea, change the rules of the parser so your idea
> works (making colon optional) and maybe even making comas optional
> and then show us how it works and then maybe convert the whole
> stdlib to be colon free (and maybe comma free)... this is probably
> going to convince more people that you are right... or it will
> convince you that you are wrong :). I think it will be quite simple
> to do (as you say it they are there just because so it should be a
> simple grammar change).
>
> Good luck,
> and I will probably play with your demo python

Thank you very much for the suggestion! I don't think making colons
optional is a technical problem at all. Eventually I'll have to
convince people on this list that it would be a (slightly) better idea
(best would be to kill colons, semicolons, and as a consequence, one-
liners, completely); or they convince me the opposite. I'm doing the
harder part first.