[Python-ideas] Making colons optional?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Feb 9 11:57:32 CET 2009

Riobard Zhan wrote:

> The problem is virtually all those who think colons should be optional
> will *not* even bother with such a trivial issue, let alone coming here
> and discussing it.

That may be true, but most people who think colons should not be
optional also don't bother coming here and discussing it.

 > In fact I would not bother either, until I was
> redirected here by Guido. The primary motive I came here was to throw in
> the proposal and see if there are any good counter-arguments to the
> idea. Up till now, I've yet seen one,

So you say.

> except perhaps what Curt mentioned
 > as "there doesn't even have to be a rational basis for that".
>
> Now spir/Denis gave up. I think I should follow him, too.

Earlier you said that you didn't think it would be difficult to make the
Python compiler accept optional colons. If you really believe that the
majority of people would prefer your suggestion, why don't you come back
when you have a patch, then see how many people are interested to try it
out? Who knows, you might prove the nay-sayers wrong. (But I doubt it.)

--
Steven