[Python-ideas] [Python-Dev] yield * (Re: Missing operator.call)

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Feb 10 03:12:47 CET 2009

Steven D'Aprano <steve at ...> writes:

> Since people are already choosing to use generator expressions instead
> of unrolling them into for loops, I don't believe that your objection is
> relevant to the proposal.

I don't know about other people, but when I write a generator expression, it's
usually for passing it around. That is, I write a generator expression in places
where I'd otherwise have to write a full generator function; both are probably
equivalent performance-wise.

I don't think writing a generator expression in situations where you could
simply inline the equivalent loop is very common, because it doesn't seem to
bring anything (and, as you observed, it's slower).

Regards

Antoine.