[Python-ideas] String formatting and namedtuple

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Wed Feb 11 22:44:51 CET 2009

[Guido van Rossum]
> I thought the plan was to start deprecating % in 3.1 and remove it at
> some later release (maybe 3.3). Or did I miss a reversal on this?

I thought we had backed-off on this for a number of reasons.

* waiting to see if users actually adopt and prefer the new way
* no compelling reason to force people to convert right away
* need a tool for automatic conversion (this may not be easy)
* the code and api for the new-way hasn't had a chance to be
   shaken-out and battle-tested in real-world apps yet.  both
   the api and implementation are not yet mature (i.e. how well
   does it work in templating apps and whatnot).

Raymond