[Python-ideas] a portable python

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 13:35:29 CET 2009

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:14:30 -0800, charles balkon wrote:

> I would like to use python but I really hate the way you guys change
> versions like underwear.
>
> If it could be possible could there be a separate version of python like
> "IcePython" that would be a executable with a bz2 file containing all
> the py files for the modules. Then when i run the script i would run
> this single executable and it would dig into it's own version of py
> files hidden in the bz2.

Do you know that you can simply just not install a new version... and if
you need multiple versions, do you know that it is not hard to do
multiple version installation of python...

> This would make life much easier since I could ignore the rapid changes
> in the api of python until i'm ready to move code to a new version.
>
> I think there's a reason corporations want long 5 year versions of
> linux.

Some people still uses python1.5 which is all the way back into time.

> This would help when you have many different boxes running many
> different oses and many different python versions.
>
> it would be more of a write once with this executable version and it's
> bz2 file tagging along.
>
> Then no matter what box i want to run it on i just drop 3 files and it
> will run there.

But I think the idea of having multiple portable python interpreter is
quite interesting, it can be used for things like bringing python in a
USB drive to a foreign machine and be able to run python scripts from
that machine without the need to do installations (e.g. portableapps.com
style)

And... Google turned out a USB-drive version of python: http://
www.portablepython.com/ (Windows-only)